Friday, February 09, 2007

Inwards: Part II

So, today at work, a former student gave a presentation. He'd been practicing the speech - pasted below - with the owner of my school. This student had been practicing public speaking with the owner, a former acting student somewhere in Cali, for the previous month. There were maybe twenty of us huddled in a room, it was during our dinner break, and the owner had him single me out and direct the entire monologue on me: "[Mark] has some Sicilian blood. Remember, these are you're last words to him. He's about to kill you." From "True Romance," written by Tarantino:

You know I read a lot. Especially things that have to do with history. I find that shit fascinating. In fact, I don't know if you know this or not, Sicilians were spawned by niggers... It's a fact. Sicilians have nigger blood pumpin' through their hearts. If you don't believe me, look it up. You see, hundreds and hundreds of years ago the Moors conquered Sicily. And Moors are niggers. Way back then, Sicilians were like the wops in northern Italy. Blond hair, blue eyes. But, once the Moors moved in there, they changed the whole country. They did so much fuckin' with the Sicilian women, they changed the blood-line for ever, from blond hair and blue eyes to black hair and dark skin. I find it absolutely amazing to think that to this day, hundreds of years later, Sicilians still carry that nigger gene. I'm just quotin' history. It's a fact. It's written. Your ancestors were niggers. Your great, great, great, great, great-grandmother was fucked by a nigger, and had a half-nigger kid. That is a fact. Now tell me, am I lyin'?


The kid apologized to me profusely afterwards, and all the Western teachers were sitting there, aghast. I chomped on ice the whole time, trying, desperately, to keep a straight face. I'm positive that he understood everything he said, because last month I told a joke when "leprosy" appeared as a vocabulary word: "What did the leper say to the prostitute? You can keep the tip." The kid responded with, "Uh... you know I just graduated from the high school, right?" "Good, then you're now a man. Here's another joke..."

2 Comments:

Blogger BigB said...

You must have been so flattered to have an entire monologue dedicated to you. At least he didn't bust out the "I will strike down upon thee..." monologue from Pulp Fiction and then bust a cap in yo' ass.

12:39 PM  
Blogger Come to Life, Imogen said...

Your pedagogy is f'ing amazing.

11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home