Thursday, October 19, 2006

It's so hard to not say goodbye

So, a month previous to today is the day that I was threatened to be deported, and thus the last day that I was due to work here. I'm actually working a few extra days. 1) to keep from being homeless through another weekend. 2) I'm working the Friday so that there's a replacement and the kids aren't stranded without a teacher. 3) I'm staying an additional Monday and Tuesday so that the replacement teacher will have some training (though I wasn't trained myself).

My supervisor doesn't want me to say anything to the kids. She just wants me to disappear, and then will make up some excuse once I'm gone. I was perfectly willing to fake excuses myself, excuses that would sound plausible to a six year old: ex., "my mom got hit by a bus." However, she'd just prefer to do her own lying, and lord knows what they'll come up with. They're going to call the parents on an individual basis the day after I "disappear" into the abyss of Seoul. I'm a little bummed about this, since they're all really cool kids in their own monkeyish ways. I really have little say in this, since I'm not getting paid in full until my final day.

It will be a little weird spending a couple days in front of them with their new teacher, without being able to tell them that that's exactly who he is.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude,

You gotta tell the kids that you're leaving. This school is doing them a disservice by introducing people into their lives and having them "disappear" with no forewarning.

Kids get attached. Kids care. Kids ask questions. And kids deserve to know what's going on.

I'm not suggesting that you state the blunt truth--"I'm leaving because I effing hate this school". Rather something like this--"I'm really needed at a different job."

And then if they ask "Why?", you can always tell them that you've been summoned and could be more valuable in the folds of Aussie cunnilingus. For you, Mark, are truly the only person I trust to explain cunnilingus to a five-year-old.

How are those Aussies anyhow?

2:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should tell the kids that you're undergoing a risky surgery and that if you don't return to class it means that you died and your blood-dripping, chain-dragging, revenge-starved ghost will haunt them for all eternity. Keep me posted!

G.D.H.

2:49 AM  
Blogger Mark Hernandef said...

PZ, Yeah, I'm totally with you. It's just that I'm not getting paid in full until I leave. I had dinner tonight with one kid and his mom, and they know the story. And the kid will tell his buddies.
Kids get attached, and I totally concur that they should know what's going on. And, I was very willing to make up an excuse that kids that age would understand.

The Aussies are non existant, but I'm off to spend the next several days hosteling - where Aussies do exist.

How's the attic-run ghetto rap studio?

12:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home