Monday, October 02, 2006

Prodigies

My kindergarten kids - 6 years old - make me smile about once every five minutes. Today, we were reading a story about this girl who sits down on a couch, eats some snacks, and watches TV. Then a dinosaur comes out of the TV and they chill out for a bit. You can ask questions like "so why is the dinosaur thirsty?" And they can answer "because she doesn't have any more milk."

Anyway, it was called "Dino the Dinosaur." I didn't want my fondness for the Flintstones to fuck up their sense of phonetics, so I thought I would have the class vote on whether we were going to call him "dee-no" or "die-no." 7-3 in favor of "die-no" in the end.

During deliberation - "so is it 'dee-no' or 'die-no'?" - the most demure girl in the class cracks a grin, looks up at me, and says, "I dun-no."

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Letting linguistic cuteness be your prodigy measuring stick, eh? You know that would place Gallagher as the paradigm prodigy, right?

Drunk dial me, too. 7858418

2:21 AM  
Blogger Mark Hernandef said...

Subtle, bilingual six-year-old linguistic cuteness, yes. If Gallagher could crack a subtle joke in Esperanto, then he'd be a bit respectable. Pontificating on why "good" and "food" don't rhyme isn't a clever way to spend 5 minutes - in an overly rehearsed routine, no less.
Dee-no/Die-no/Dun-no
That's a sophisticated joke, no?

1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home