Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Ding ding ding; we have a winner.

And, the only African Americans that a roomful of Korean 8 and 9 year old prodigies can name are: Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods. Very good guesses, though. And, Grant, your Scottie Pippen references always brighten my day.
Oh, and in other news I quit my job yesterday. We'll see how long I get to enjoy the relative comfort of working 15-20 more hours a week than my contract says and enjoying a place to live. A few people have offered me a place to crash for a few days, so that's actually not a huge concern. My contract says I should be teaching a minimum of 36 classes a week (24 teaching hours) with an absolute maximum of 45. Then they did some sneaky shit, like kindergarten classes are 50 minutes long and I don't get paid for supervising lunch everyday (so there's an extra 10 hours I didn't agree to right there). I have a kindergarten teaching assistant that I share with a few other teachers, but she doesn't do a whole lot. She plays with her cellphone much of the time. So, she's totally not my Scottie Pippen. Given the fact that she doesn't even understand the most basic things I say, Tony Kukoc might be more apt: yeah, thanks for the 2 rebounds a day, biatch.
I got my supervisor to agree to the fact that I'm working 56.5 classes a week - counting the 7 breaks I have all week between my MWF teaching schedule of 10 - 6:45, and my TTh schedule of 9:30-6:45. I'm pretty sure I spent 20 minutes punching in numbers on a calculator while sitting next to her on her desk Monday, thining of all the various combinations of numbers that I didn't agree to because they weren't in my contract.
Basically, the terms of my contract - and a conversation with my supervisor before I got here led me to believe that I'd be working roughly 40 hours a week with ample time to plan and thus take some pride in my work. In reality, I'm working over 50 hours a week - especially when you include all the work I'm expected to take home with me on a daily basis - with no breaks from 10-6:45 on Monday, Wednesday, Friday.
I'll need to say more about the conversation I had with the school owner in a physician's waiting, who was being a complete dicknose. I spent my two breaks yesterday hooked up to an IV drip and having an awkward discussion with the Korean bossman. He did back off a bit, however, when he saw my bloodpressure. Something kinda scary over something kinda scary. I've never been a hypertension kinda guy, so I'm now looking for a university job - a job that I'm qualified here for - that runs about 15-20 hours a week of teaching with 8-12 weeks of vacation a year.

5 Comments:

Blogger Come to Life, Imogen said...

Is this a joke?

10:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are they hiring many English profs? I would be interested in that gig as a possible gig (just another possible gig to add to my possible-gig-pile. This indecision's bugging me (Esta indicision me molesta).

Let me know how it goes...McGraw-Hill is hiring a World Language's editor, you'd be a shoo-in at this moment (DOH!).

12:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i hope this all works out for you, but you'll know that if it doesn't it's totally bad karma from eating dog (do you kiss your mother with that mouth?). i loved all your zadie smith stuff, and i finally managed to track down a copy of the white teeth bbc miniseries; so you'll have to come back to the bus just to watch it with me!! smith herself apparently makes a cameo - hot. can you put a picture of your royal baldness on the blog? you've got to look hilarious!

1:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. Big stuff. Why were you at the doctor's? Overwork? Hopefully you'll at least start feeling better soon, which should make the job-search process more pleasant.

5:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

C'mon, Toni Kukoc has career averages of 12 points/4 assists/4 rebounds a game. Not horrible.

Anyway, sounds like you need a bit of a de-stress day/week. Go to a park; feed whatever they have for birds in South Korea. Lay off the dog meat for a month or so. Take care of yourself.

5:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home