Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Worky

What is the proper reaction to roomsful of well-to-do Koreans memorizing movie scripts such as the following, from "Beverly Hills Cop"?:
Don't you think I realize what's going on here, miss? Who do you think I am, huh? Don't you think I know that if I was some hotshot from out of town that pulled inside here and you guys made a reservation mistake, I'd be the first one to get a room and I'd be upstairs relaxing right now. But I'm not some hotshot from out of town, I'm a small reporter from "Rolling Stone" magazine that's in town to do an exclusive interview with Michael Jackson that's gonna be picked up by every major magazine in the country. I was gonna call the article "Michael Jackson Is Sitting On Top of the World," but now I think I might as well just call it "Michael Jackson Can Sit On Top of the World Just As Long As He Doesn't Sit in the Beverly Palm Hotel 'Cause There's No Niggers Allowed in There!"
I'm not exactly sure what the pedagogical value of this is, but I had a lot of giggles to stifle the first few times I heard my students stumble through this passage. In light of all this (overblown?) Michael Richards hoopla, it's interesting to be in an environment where people read the "N word" so indifferently, sounding it out as if it were "computer programmer" or "tomato ketchup."

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Don't you think I know..."

Those "poor" women. I can barely follow that rant and I have a *master's* in English.

6:16 PM  
Blogger Mark Hernandef said...

I know. Before handing it out, I had to really try to make sense of the syntax. Entirely devoid of educational value? Perhaps, but I'm not getting paid to give input on such matters.

10:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, not devoid of educational value. this is terrific! I love this! I should have done this in Japan!

Instead I made my students try to follow ER episodes and then ask them ridiculously tough questions that I didn't realize were ridiculously tough. Repeating is good. IT's do-able. It's good for increased fluency. And then in the movie of your life, this can be a scene.

2:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So on a scale of 1 to 10 where 10 is pee-your-pants funny and Stephen Hawking reading this is a 4, how funny is this?

1:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really very seldom talk about tomato ketchup.

2:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you videotape your students acting out the love scene from "Howard The Duck" and send it to me?

GDH

8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should make them do a little Clockwork Orange.

kyle

11:33 AM  
Blogger Toppatwo said...

Perhaps a little something from "Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolfe."

12:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

by the way, justin and I just watched b.hills cop this weekend (he's ill--eddie murphy films make for good ill-films) and we had another hearty laugh on this. watched the monologue twice, just for you. hope you're well.
Hk

12:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home